Spring has Sprung…does that automatically mean Hayfever for some? Can Osteopathy help?
Dr Kylie Sergentanis
It feels as though Melbourne has been teasing us the last few weeks, with the hint of spring just around the corner! As Melburnians rejoice the end of another winter, there are those who are dreading the next season. As the trees start to blossom and our parks and gardens turn to color – the pollen count rises. When pollen counts reach record highs – so do tissue and anti-histamine sales. For those that really suffer, sometimes it feels like nothing will work!
Some suggested Hayfever remedies include:
- Minimizing exposure to your allergens
- Shower as soon as you return home and change your clothes
- Wear sunglasses
- Nasal sprays
- Nettie pots
- Vaseline or something similar in nostrils
- Local honey (homeopathic)
Did you know, however, that Osteopathy and manual treatment could actually help to relieve your symptoms?
Osteopathy treatment can assist with:
- Mucous drainage
- Neck and face swelling
- Ease of breathing
- Treatment to the lymphatic channel in your head and neck can encourage your body to flush out leftover waste products (including bacteria)
- Releasing hypertonic muscles around the neck and shoulders
Although Osteopathy will not cure your hayfever – it could go a long way in helping you to manage your symptoms. So, before the spring comes into full bloom – make an appointment with your Osteopath to ensure your body is at its best so you can enjoy Spring with the rest of Melbourne!