10 Amazing Facts About Elsternwick
By Kylie Sergentanis
Happy 1st Birthday to me!
August marks one year since I have been fortunate enough to join Elsternwick Osteopathy AND began living Southside! I feel so grateful to have been welcomed into the Elsternwick community and thank everyone for helping me feel at home! To mark this momentous occasion, I thought I would share 10 facts that you may or may not know about Elsternwick…
10 Super Amazing Facts About Elsternwick:
- ‘Elsternwick’ what’s in a name? Elster – German for ‘magpie’ and wick – meaning ‘village’
- Population: 9774 (Wow! I grew up in a town of 2500)
- Median Age: 37 years old.
- Most common languages: Greek, Russian, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, French and Polish (explains all the delicious restaurants and cafes.)
- It is 9kms from the CBD – perfect cycling distance!
- The Post Office was opened in 1860.
- Home of the best known brothel in Australia: The Daily Planet was the first brothel listed on the Stock Exchange.
- Elsternwick Park started life as mostly a swamp – it was bordered by Elster Creek, now known as Elwood Canal, and was used for horses and grazing.
- Bagels! Bagels! Bagels! – nothing more needs to be said.
- MOST importantly, Elsternwick is a wonderfully friendly and welcoming community – thanks for being apart of it.